Randstad World of Work Report released a survey performed by the Randstad Group. The survey showed that among the employees here in Asia, Singaporeans are the unhappiest. Indians are the happiest. The survey shows sarcasm considering that Singapore is one of the wealthiest nations. Singaporeans should be one of the happiest.
The survey also showed that 64% of Singaporeans are thinking about quitting their jobs in the next twelve months. 23% of Singaporeans admitted that they are not motivated enough. What does that show? Many Singaporeans show discontent despite the affluence of the country. It would be helpful if you know the reasons. Here are some reasons why many Singaporeans are unhappy:
- Rising consumer prices: Singapore is an affluent nation but with that, the cost of living rises. Many people are trying to meet both ends because of the rising consumer prices. Singapore also experienced economic downturn in the recent years.
- Competition from foreign workers: Singapore welcomes foreign workers. The presence of foreign workers threatens the employment of the locals. The influx of foreign workers here in Singapore is undeniable.
- Hostile corporate culture: When you are in the corporate world, you surely experienced hostility. Because you are always driven to meet something, the corporate world is getting smaller. It is not a pleasant sight if the supervisors or managers are constantly pinning you to increase your sales, etc.
- Level of stress: Constantly thinking about the future and how to make both ends meet surely brings a lot of stress. When you have a lot of stress and you do not attempt to get rid of it, it will accumulate and it will destroy you.
- Fast pace: Affluence is not something that you should wait. It is something that you should pursue and run to. If you run slowly, you will surely fail. But if you run hurriedly, you will surely succeed. You are too busy catching up that you do not think about smelling the flowers. Because you are always in a hurry, you do not give time for simple pleasures like a good night’s sleep, strolling, partying and many more.
These are just some of the many reasons why Singaporeans are not happy. If you are not happy with your life, you are not alone but it does not mean that it is normal. If you happen to be one of the Singaporeans who are not happy, perhaps this is the time that you rethink about your priorities and your happiness. Take a step back and if you thought about it, do what makes you happy and you will never be tired of it.